Shepton Beauchamp is an attractive village lying northeast of Ilminster between the Blackdown Hills and the Somerset Levels, with many of the 315 houses being built from local stone. It has a Saxon name ‘sheep settlement’ to which was added that of the Beauchamp family (pronounced ‘Beecham’) who held the manor with the barony of Hatch Beauchamp from the mid 12th century.
It passed to the Seymours in 1361, and Sir John Seymour lived here when Sheriff of Somerset 1515-16, possibly with his young daughter Jane, later third Queen of Henry VIII.
We have a thriving Post Office and Stores,a Pub with excellent new accommodation, two farm shops and a specialist clock and watch shop. The fine church of St. Michael dates from the late 13th century. Shepton Beauchamp C of E Primary School was highly praised in their last OFSTED report. There is an excellent Pre-school & Pre-Threes group and Parents and Toddlers. Shepton Beauchamp has a good mix of social backgrounds, ages and new and old families. The village is a busy one, with enough people around during the day for our businesses to thrive. There is a real feeling of 'community' and local events are well supported.
An 1868 Description
“SHEPTON BEAUCHAMP, a parish in the hundred of South Petherton, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Ilminster, its post town, and about the same distance W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of a sandy loam upon a subsoil of limestone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £373. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a tower containing a clock and six bells. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.”
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003